Sunday, August 14, 2011

Naps are for Babies!

For some reason, this week Corynn decided she no longer needed an afternoon nap! Yeah for me! After spending nearly an hour and a half one afternoon reading her books, singing her songs, and trying to convince her to take a nap, I realized I wasn't doing anyone any good. We weren't playing, I wasn't getting any work done, and no one was resting! Finally I gave up and decided to let her go without a nap - all week long! Most days she was just fine without a nap and just went to bed earlier in the evening, but a few days she was a cranky, whiny, clingy mess all afternoon, continuously denying that she needed a nap. I really hope this isn't the end of napping for her, but I guess we'll see!


Helping me make lasagna (with her cute headband on again)


Working on her new train puzzle from papa and grandma Nickel, still in her apron from helping me in the kitchen

We had another busy weekend filled with two triathlons in two days and a trip to western Kansas to see friends.

Saturday morning was the Salty Dog triathlon in Hutchinson. I enjoy this race because it is very spectator friendly and close to home, and this year it was cloudy and cool as well. Once again Kevin won this race!

And once again Corynn enjoyed the playground during and after the race!


After the awards ceremony and a trip to Target, we went home for naps, then packed our bags to head to western Kansas for the night. Kevin's college roommate from Tabor and his wife who ran cross country with Kevin were in Kansas visiting from Pennsylvania. They just had a baby boy in June and were having a get-together/baby shower in Russell, so we decided to make the short trip out there to see them.


Corynn helped model this bib I stitched for their baby

Coincidentally, this same weekend, Kevin had been told about a sprint triathlon happening in Hays, just a few minutes away from Russell. Of course he was intrigued by doing a race he'd never done before, so we spent the night in Hays and Kevin participated in that triathlon Sunday morning.


For the second day in a row, he placed first at a tri!


Corynn, Kevin and his triathlon friend Bob who lives in Hays and encouraged Kevin to come out and do this tri.

Once again there just happened to be a playground across from the transition area that we enjoyed during the bike portion of the race.



This was one of the first times Corynn actually clapped and cheered for daddy when he was within earshot. Usually if she cheers it's long after he's passed by us or at a completely random time.

After a successful weekend of triathlons, we headed back home, but not before stopping at cousin Sam's house for the evening to celebrate his 4th birthday!


The party theme was construction and trucks, so Corynn got to wear and decorate a hard hat for the occasion.


Uncle Brent also built Sam this "roller coaster" ride which Corynn tried out a few times. I think she was more concerned about the helmet staying on than enjoying the ride. Thanks for the fun party and happy birthday Sam!!

We finally arrived back at our house Sunday evening sometime after 9pm and we were all ready for a restful night of sleep!

Here are a couple videos I took this week - August 8-14:

One afternoon while she wasn't napping, Corynn was relaxing on her couch singing through this Curious George book. She had no idea I was watching her.




One of Corynn's new favorite "songs" is "Johnny Appleseed" so I had her sing it for me at lunch one day, as well as say "God is Great" and another prayer I said as a child. Don't adjust your volume when you can't hear her during her first prayer. For some reason she'll just start whispering in the middle of talking or singing, but will continue to mouth the words. And I'm not sure why she sang it a second time in super slow motion, but it's pretty funny.


No comments: