Sunday, June 19, 2011

Potty Training - Week 1

This week was potty training week. Bible school was behind us, summer was upon us, and our week was fairly low-key, so I figured it was the perfect time to try. "Oye!" basically sums up the week for me!

I was aware that this process was going to be as much work for me as Corynn, but I didn't really know what I was in for. I quickly learned that whether or not Corynn pottied when I wanted her to was out of my control, whether I liked it or not.



Overall, Corynn did very well I thought, but the week wasn't without its challenges. I decided to just put her in underwear and deal with the accidents, hoping she would learn from them and quickly. The first few days she basically told me every time after she went potty, but at least she was telling me. On Tuesday, though, she actually came and got me and took me to the bathroom to help her, and she actually went - and that was only day 2. I was hopeful!

She was very excited to pick out her panties each day (or several times a day) and would sometimes say, "I keep these [Elmo/Dora/Princess/etc.] panties dry all day!" Thanks to our boxes of hand-me-downs, she has a whole stack of fun options and designs to choose from!

One day she peed while standing on a chair helping me wash dishes, then she pottied in her booster seat during supper, once on the kitchen floor while helping upload groceries, and then of course a few other times! I have discovered that she gets very upset when she potties in her underwear, so if she starts screaming and crying for no apparent reason, it's probably too late; the shorts are already wet.



By the end of week one she was staying dry during naps, could wait up to 3-4 hours before finally giving in and sitting on the potty (or going in her pants), and even got out of bed one night to potty. Not that you asked for any of these details, but Corynn has been poppy-trained, if you will, for months now, so that was a non issue this week, thankfully.

One of the toughest parts for me was literally getting her to sit on the toilet. The first few days I set my watch and took her every 45 minutes to an hour and tried to get her to go. But when she didn't want to or have to go, she wouldn't! She would wiggle and scream until I let her jump off and run away. Thankfully I quickly realized that she knew good and well when she needed to go, so I didn't have to force her to sit there by the clock. Whether or not she tells me when she has to go is another story.

My favorite part of the week was when Corynn actually sat on the toilet once when I took her and continued to sit with no success. She sat and sat and finally said, "But I want M&Ms. I want to potty!" M&Ms have been our potty bribe this week and obviously have some impact on the process for her. Whenever she was successful, she didn't let me forget to go get her the candy!

Here are some photos and notes to sum up the rest of our week - June 13-19:

Monday morning Corynn sat down on her Elmo couch with two of her dolls. I said to her, "What a nice, happy family you are!" She immediately replied, "I need to get my camera to take a picture!" Where this came from I have no idea, but apparently she associates families with pictures. She has this book that looks like a camera and even has a button that makes a light flash, so I suggested she go and get that book to take a picture of her "family." She thought that was a great idea and proceeded to take pictures of everything all morning.



Then we got out the real camera and took some silly photos with her dolls too. She was giving me the cheesiest smiles ever. It was so fun to watch her have fun with her pretend camera and family.


Corynn has really become a little monkey lately. Literally hanging off of everything in our house, from our counter tops, the dining table, the couch, her bed, to hanging from our hands or arms when we're holding her.

Once she did slip from this position and hit her head on the floor, which made her a bit more cautious for about a day, but then she was back at it!

On Sunday we celebrated Father's Day with daddy, of course, as well as having lunch with the Nickel's and supper with the Peters' families. Being in Goessel meant we had to stop by the park for at least a little while. It was so hot in the afternoon our fun at the park didn't last long but thankfully it was sufficient for Corynn.


Aunt Eunice and Pam picked up this doll infant car seat for Corynn at a garage sale last week and gave it to her on Sunday! They've observed how much Corynn likes to play with her baby cousin's car seats, and thought she might enjoy one of her own! It was the perfect buy!


Corynn played with it all afternoon and evening Sunday carrying around any babies she could find, and even trying it out herself!

No comments: